Boy + Girl + Army + e-Harmony = Captain and Mrs. Butters! This is what we're up to. Observations, opinions, events, images, and more.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

No Words

Today was a day when ignorance would have been bliss in terms of reading the news.

First, I saw that the Supreme Court ruled in favor of the Westboro Baptist Church, so those bigots will still be allowed to picket the funerals of fallen soldiers. Forgive me, but I'm having trouble getting the emotional distance to feel good about the First Amendment being protected here.

Thumbs up from me to Justice Samuel Alito, who was the only dissenting justice. He said that said that the church's
"outrageous conduct caused petitioner great injury, and the court now compounds that injury by depriving petitioner of a judgment that acknowledges the wrong he suffered. In order to have a society in which public issues can be openly and vigorously debated, it is not necessary to allow the brutalization of innocent victims like petitioner."
And then I read about the military bus shooting at the airport in Frankfurt, Germany. Two dead and two wounded. It makes me feel physically sick.

This was not a good day for the military community. I want to write something intelligent and penetrating here, but all that's coming to mind at the moment is, Damn it.

5 comments:

  1. I know. I was soooo bummed reading the NYT today. I can't help but wonder if things would be different if the signs referred to blacks or jews, two groups that have strong caucuses in the Senate and well funded lobby groups...Also, a NATO helicopter killed 9 Afghan boys while they were collecting firewood. I know it's war, but don't we have the BEST intelligence out there??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree...not a good day for the military community... =(

    ReplyDelete
  3. The one day I pick to turn on CNN... It's all very upsetting. Why isn't our government protecting those that give their lives to protect our country?

    Those Westboro asshats. I would snap and kill as many as I could if they were ever at any funeral I was attending. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree girl. My heart just ached reading about the shooting. I read half the article online and couldn't finish. I felt so sick to my stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree. Damn it is the only thing that comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete