Boy + Girl + Army + e-Harmony = Captain and Mrs. Butters! This is what we're up to. Observations, opinions, events, images, and more.

Friday, October 15, 2010

MilSpouse Friday Fill-In: 15 October, 2010

First things first: I was really surprised (in a great way!) at the response to my post yesterday on Afghanistan. I'm so glad that putting my mental ramblings down in blog form has helped to change other perspectives as well. And make no mistake--my perspective definitely needed changing. When I'm not vaguely resenting Afghanistan because I don't want Spike to have to go back (there's some honesty for you), I'm comparing coalition efforts there to the conquests of the Romans, to the Anglo-Saxon invasion of Britain, etc. (I'm a history nerd; what can I say?), and wondering if our forces can really change Afghanistan's society since they're simply occupiers, and not settlers who are actively putting down roots and assimilating. 

I think I just need to stop, well, thinking so much--because this isn't a chapter in a history book yet--it's still happening. And the photos and people I wrote about yesterday give me hope that we might truly see a positive outcome for the Afghan people--because clearly, many of them want freedom and progress as well. And as for me? Well, like I said yesterday, I'm going to try to keep a more open, informed mind...and should Spike deploy to Afghanistan again, which I know is likely, I'll miss him terribly--but I'll be equally proud that he is fighting for opportunity and growth. While, again, I'm missing him terribly. It's his job, though, and I know he is proud to do it.

Oh, and one last thing before the Fill-In. You know that "stray" dog I found a few weeks ago? The one who slipped through my fingers and left me distraught that I'd abandoned him to the dubious mercies of the world? Well, Spike and I were riding our bikes through town the other evening, and I saw him. In a yard. Behind a fence. Wearing a collar. I grinned like an idiot the whole way home. Spike was right--he had a home after all. 


And now, the Fill-In! If it tickles your fancy, join in and read other responses at Wife of a Sailor!


1. What are some things on your bucket list? (from New Girl on Post)
Here are a random few: (I really need to write down the whole list one of these days!) Have children. Skydive. Live abroad for more than three months (the current "record"). Complete the Camino de Santiago de Compostela pilgrimage in Spain. Publish a novel. Become truly fluent in a foreign language (Spike and I are planning to start learning Russian together soon!). Visit all seven continents. Earn a graduate degree. Learn how not to make plants die (I have a distinctly yellow thumb).

2. How long have you been a MilSpouse and where have you been stationed so far? (from Raising Roscoe)
I have been a MilSpouse for one month and five days! (That was easy.) When I "met" Spike, he was in Afghanistan. Then he came back to Fort Bragg in NC, which was about a three-hour drive from my home. Now we are both at Fort Sill, Oklahoma. And two weeks from today, we will PCS to Fort Riley, Kansas. That's a lot of places for under a year!

3. What is a list of songs that sums up your life so far? (from Confessions of a Sailor’s Wife)
This one's tougher than it looks! I listen to music all day while I work, but I've never really put together a soundtrack for my life. That said, I'm not going to spend too long on the list now...so don't judge me too much based on what I'm about to write! I'm sure I could do better if I spent more time thinking.
  • I think childhood would just be a mish-mash of Disney songs, Oldies (parents played them all the time), and classical piano music (I took lessons for 14 years).
  • High school? Well, I was a big fan of...okay, I'll admit it...N'Sync. Also, while my social reputation probably wasn't as bad as I thought it was at the time, I'm going to go with the Revenge of the Nerds theme song to set the general tone of high school.   
  • College: Les Miserables. The whole thing. Just because I listened to it nonstop for my junior and senior years.
  • My relationship with Spike: "The Way you Look Tonight." He sang it under his breath on our first date, and has continued to do so ever since.   
...Okay, so my response to this question stank. I have come to the conclusion that the songs I listen to a lot don't actually describe my life. 


4. What is your favorite kind of pizza?
If it involves goat cheese, I'm there!

5. What are three good things in your life right now?
  1. Spike and our new marriage! 
  2. A full-time job that I enjoy and that I can do from wherever the Army sends us.
  3. My new Kindle. Shallow, I know...but it has opened up a whole new world of bookwormish pleasure!

No comments:

Post a Comment