Boy + Girl + Army + e-Harmony = Captain and Mrs. Butters! This is what we're up to. Observations, opinions, events, images, and more.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

My answer was "yes."

Spike and I have some big news: We're getting married! (Well, we've both known for awhile that marriage was in the cards, but now it's official.) On Friday, July 23rd, the Captain took me to the top of Mount Scott, Oklahoma, and proposed to me. Just like that, I became a proud Army fiancee, but more importantly, I became my best friend's fiancee.

There is so much I could say about Spike. I could talk about how he stands head and shoulders above the crowd in terms of integrity and character. I could mention his sneak-up-on-you sense of humor that always keeps me on my toes, and I could describe the way he works so very intently on whatever is in front of him. Yes, I could spend pages talking about those things and much, much more. But for now, I'll just thank God for bringing us together across the miles, because His hand has been evident in our story from our first email onward.

Now, here's what happened.

As I mentioned in my previous post, Spike's parents, both of whom I really love, came to visit us this weekend. After a very long drive, they arrived at our Oklahoma abode on Friday afternoon just as I was finishing work. After they had gotten settled in, Spike suggested that we go to Meers, aka longhorn burger heaven, for supper. Of course, I readily agreed and made a beeline for the car.

Our journey took us to the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Preserve, which is near Meers and which Spike and I had visited on several previous occasions. It was a nice afternoon, so Spike oh-so-casually suggested that we drive to the summit of Mount Scott first. Again, I readily agreed because I love the view and I hoped Spike's parents would too.

Here's the view we enjoyed on Friday. That puff of smoke to the right is the artillery guys at Fort Sill doing their "boom boom" thing.
After parking, we all meandered to the overlook, which is littered with good-sized stones and boulders. I've never quite managed to squelch my inner 10 year-old (don't really want to, either), and I proceeded to scamper onto some of them. I later found out that in doing so I foiled the Captain's plan to get down onto one knee to propose (me being a head or so higher than him on my perch), but everything worked out perfectly, and happened pretty quickly.

"I have a question to ask you..."
"Will you make me the happiest man in the world?"
"Yes!"
In retrospect, I'm glad I didn't knock him off the mountain with this maneuver.
Our first official "engaged" portrait

A little more kissy-face-licky-face, as the Captain's dad would say.
So yes, it's pretty safe to say that we're both extremely happy.
So, too, are the Captain's parents. These are my lovely future in-laws. Yet another blessing that has come into my life courtesy of Spike!
Mount Scott is only a few minutes' drive from Meers Store and Restaurant (which has been lauded on this blog several times), so we ate a celebratory dinner there.
Team Butters is Army Strong. Hooah!
Soon-to-be Captain and Mrs. Butters.
Especially for the girls: a close-up of my engagement ring, a classic white gold solitaire.
We've got a life to plan now. And at this point, the only thing we're fairly sure of is that Spike's career will take us to Fort Riley, Kansas in November. Which, I must say, is pretty exciting. More details to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment